Have you been watching with us?
Tonight’s Golden Globes Red Carpet was one of the Best Dressed in recent memory mostly because there were few clones. Largely ditching the safety of princess silhouettes and one shoulder gowns, the stars came out in unique expressions of their personal style. Zooey Deschanel wore a bold custom Prada gown with an embellished spray of green and black on the blouse of her dress. Likewise Tilda Swinton opted for a periwinkle structured jacket with a soft maxi skirt spilling out from underneath it. Not everyone’s look was a hit–Glee star Dianna Agron’s red dress composed of laser cut swans was beautiful in detail, but A LOT for the eye to take in. And Tilda Swinton’s aforementioned look also gave the eye a lot to absorb, but then that’s the charm of Tilda–she doesn’t give a f@$K!
As individual as the looks were, there were some trends: scooped out backs (Julianna Margulies, Heidi Klum, Nicole Richie), sparkling headbands (Michelle Williams and Charlize Theron), statement clutches (see Angelina Jolie’s sanguine bag), and mermaid silhouettes (Sofia Vergara, Kelly Osbourne, and Reese Witherspoon. Windblown hair/bed head was big too with Stacy Keibler and Reese Witherspoon rocking sexily mussed-up coifs. All said, I’ve settled on my shortlist of the Best Dressed on the Red Carpet. Who am I missing? Who do you think was the flyest?
- Charlize Theron rocking a gown that’s cocktail party in the front-evening gala in the back
Charlize Theron may not have won for her role in Young Adult, but the Golden Globe nominee killed it on the carpet, summoning her dancer past in a swinging costume gown by Dior with a cocktail length hem in the front, and floating train in the back, complete with sparkling headband.
- Angelina’s contrast colored napkin neckline is heat!!
Angelina Jolie looked pretty fly & mighty in her champagne colored gown with Grecian detail and crimson contrast napkin bodice.
- Golden Globe nominee Rooney Mara hit the red carpet in Nina Ricci
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo nominee continued her goth-chic streak on the Golden Globes red carpet in a Nina Ricci gown.
- Julianna Margulies shoulder rolls on the Golden Globes Red Carpet
The combination of long sleeves and a scooped out back is a winning one for Julianna Margulies.
- Kelly Osbourne, in Zac Posen, did a spin on E!’s glam cam at the 2012 Golden Globes
- As one of the first celebs to hit the red carpet, E!’s Fashion Police correspondent Kelly Osbourne set the tone of the night in a sleek, sharp-shouldered Zac Posen gown.